"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hello Blogging World!

As many of you know, I am not the most technology savvy guy in the world. Because of this I have run from the idea of blogging for a couple years. My wife recently sent me a post from Desiring God's blog that convinced me to begin blogging for several reasons. I want to give you my reasons for blogging, and then lay out the direction that this blog will take as we move forward.


Why Did I decide to Begin a Blog?
  1. I need to sharpen my thinking skills. It has always helped me to think myself clear on any issue if I take the time to write about my subject. In the throws of local ministry it is difficult for me to justify time spent writing, but I believe a blog will help me write because of the accountability of readers. If there are a group of people looking for me to write on a regular basis, then I am more likely to be disciplined in writing which will lead to better thinking!
  2. I want to communicate with the people in my church, family, and community. Part of being a pastor (a rather large part of the calling) is communicating clear biblical thinking on any number of real life issues. A blog is one of the best ways to have a conversation with a large group of people twenty-four hours a day.
  3. I want to create a hunger for studying the Bible and theology. We live in a world of soundbites and spoon fed theology or Bible teaching. My desire is that this blog will be a place of constant interaction with deep, practical theology. If the readers are challenged to think on the issues of the day from a biblical standpoint, then our community will be transformed into Christ-likeness.
  4. I want people to know who I really am. More than anything this blog will hopefully be a productive way for people to know who I am. It is impossible to know me from an hour on Sunday. My desire is that by reading this blog you will be more connected with who Carlton Weathers is in day-to-day life.
There are several other reasons for launching this blog, but I want to you to know that if you choose to read here, we will have a true to life discussion of the events in our world. My prayer is that God will be glorified and the church will be strengthened and the lost will be challenged to faith in Christ through this continual conversation that I call "Beyond the Walls." Its time to close this post because I hate reading long post!!!

Talk to you soon... CW

3 comments:

  1. I feel special! I am your first official comment on your blog!

    I am so glad that you decided to blog. You are an amazing writer and have so much wisdom and passion to share with others.

    I am so blessed to have you as my life-long partner/best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! I am so glad you are doing this!! I look forward to reading it!

    Maybe this will get Carlton to read blogs now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are blogging!
    Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete