"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Theology by the Man in Black

Johnny Cash is one of those iconic figures who changed his profession. He was the outlaw, the Man in Black. He was also saved by grace! If you know Johnny's music, then you know he loved to sing about biblical topics. I listened to his album American VI: Ain't No Grave today (the second posthumous album due in stores Feb. 26). Many of the songs are repeats from earlier albums. I recommend the album to anyone who loves classic country. But the purpose hear is to compare the words of his song "A Satisfied Mind", written by Red Hayes, to the Word. Notice these words:

How many times have
You heard someone say
If I had his money
I could do things my way

But little they know
That it's so hard to find
One rich man in ten
With a satisfied mind

A proverbial truth. Money cannot ultimately satisfy. The more wealth earned simply drives a man to earn more wealth. Hebrews 13:5 says, "Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” We should be content with whatever we have as Christians because we have Christ. He will never leave us or forsake us. Fortune and fame come and go. But our life in Christ is eternal. It leads to a satisfied mind!


As a fan of a legend, I like to think that on September 12, 2003 Johnny Cash entered the eternal rest of the Lord singing...

When my life has ended
And my time has run out
My friends and my loved ones
I'll leave there's no doubt

But one thing's for certain
When it comes my time
I'll leave this old world
With a satisfied mind


He was satisfied to know the Lord. When you face death's door will you have a satisfied mind? I pray you do. Christ will never leave you or forsake you!

Talk to you soon...CW

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your first official post! Looking foward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprised you are blogging, but I an glad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always knew you were a blogger...Love the Man in Black. Go C Dub
    Russell

    ReplyDelete