"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

Monday, March 15, 2010

Are you a Baptist or a Presbyterian?

This is a question that I get a kick out of every time. You will have to forgive me, but I cannot pass on the opportunity for controversy on this one! We first have to think about what the question is asking. Then we have to address the specifics involved with each point at question.

Am I a baptist? Yes. I am a biblical baptist which is different from being a member of a denominational church. By biblical baptist I mean that I follow what seems to be the biblical command to baptize (immerse in water) those who are converted to the Christian faith. To keep from dragging this post on at least beyond your willingness to read, it is best to say that I am Ancient Baptist.

I believe that a new believers should submit to the local church elders and be baptized by immersion into water. This simply indicates outwardly what has taken place inwardly with the washing of regeneration and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Water baptism does not save, but it does outwardly mark one as part of the local fellowship!

I do not believe that baptism is required for salvation, it is not required for admittance to the Communion table, and here at Grace Fellowship we do not require baptism by immersion for someone to join our church. We try to exhibit charity on this point of doctrine because we respect many who come from different tradition. We teach baptism when it is part of our teaching text, but we do not divide over what we consider a secondary doctrine.

Am I a Presbyterian? Yes, in the broadest since of the term, I am a presbyterian. Again, I am not saying that I am a member of a Presbyterian denomination ( though I hold the PCA as one of the finest denominations in the world). I do believe in the practice of the Old and New Testament when it comes to church leadership. Nowhere in the biblical text are we shown a "single pastor" model. As we read the pages of the Bible it becomes clear that God has established the pattern on plural leadership among his people for several reasons. First, Jesus Christ is the head of the Church. He will not share that leadership with any one man. Second, a plurality is shown to be a better representation of the Lord. There is not a man on the face of the earth that has all the necessary gifts to lead a fellowship of believers. When we have a plurality of pastors, then we have a diversity of gifts, leadership styles, talents, and wisdom. I believe in a presbyterian form of government within the local church (a plurality of pastors serving as equals under the leadership of Christ).

Are you a baptist or a Presbyterian? Technically I would say I am a Reformed Baptist. Our church is not a member of any denomination. I guess as one of my friends says, "I am a Deep Water Presbyterian!" The great thing is there are more of my kind every day!!! To God be the Glory! Talk to you soon...CW

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for clearing that up!! HAHA!

    I am really enjoying these posts. So informative!

    ReplyDelete