"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Controversial Points of Theology

I have been bombarded over the past weeks with questions concerning some hotly debated points of theology. It is exciting for me to see people trying to answer difficult questions concerning the Word of God. There are times where I struggle to answer these questions when approached because of time limitations, environmental concerns (mixed company of believers and non-believers), and a simple fear of offending those I love. Maybe a series of blog post concerning these topics is a bit daunting, but I would like to take the next few post to answer some of the more common concerns presented to me. Please understand that though I am confident in my belief concerning these topics (if I was not certain of my beliefs, I would not put my beliefs in the blogosphere!), I also respect many men who have differing opinions on these topics. My desire is to teach, encourage, and challenge without being offensive. If you disagree with the theology contained in this or any other post, feel free to comment, contact, or heckle me. But lets remember that we are brothers not adversaries. Let's be charitable towards all! So what is the first of these hotly debated topics: Are you a Calvinist?

This is a common question directed toward me. The short answer is Yes. Now for the more detailed response.


First, I am a Christ-follower. My allegiance is undivided and it is an allegiance to Christ and Christ alone.


Second, I am a Protestant. I identify with the five major tenants of the Protestant Reformation. I believe in Christ Alone, Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, and God's Glory Alone. Another post will be dedicated to these foundational beliefs. It is not possible to be a true Christ-follower without holding to these five truths.


Third, I am an Evangelical Protestant Christian. I believe in the biblical gospel. Simply stated, we lost it all, Christ did it all, and we get it all! We lost our hope, goodness, standing, relationship, and spiritual life when Adam sinned in the Garden. Christ, God in the Flesh, lived a perfect and sinless life, died on the cross to appease the wrath of God and absorb the penalty of sin for his Bride the Church. After his death, he was raised from the dead by the power of God which vindicated him for all eternity! Now Christ is seated at the right hand of the Father in heaven where he rules and reigns forever. When we come to Christ in faith by God's grace, we receive Christ's righteousness, his position as an heir to the Kingdom, and eternal life with God. We get it all when we get Jesus Christ!


Finally, I am an Evangelical Calvinist Protestant Christian. When you get to the final label, Calvinist, the controversy is heightened. Some of you would say, "Carlton, just drop the label of Calvinist so that people will not be offended." It just is not that simple. I believe in being open and honest. It does not take a person long to figure out that my position is squarely in the Reformed/Calvinistic stream of the Church. And if I spend my time trying to hide from that fact, then it is dishonest and disrespectful. It would be more productive to explain what this term means. The following is a short statement of what it means to be a Calvinist. I also refer to these beliefs as the doctrines of grace, the "minor five," or TULIP. Let me stress the fact that many believers do not hold to these five teachings. It is possible to be a true Christ-follower while not accepting these beliefs, but I also believe that once a Christian is given the biblical rationale for these teachings, they will accept and celebrate these great truths!

Total Depravity: This is the belief that at the fall, man lost not only his innocence but he lost any ability to please God. I do not believe that there is any aspect of our nature that escaped the radical effect of the fall into sin. We are corrupt in all of our ways (mind, body, and soul). We are incapable of pleasing God or earning his love toward us. This is the condition of every human at conception, and if we are left to our own desires we will be separated from God for all eternity. The belief in Total Depravity does not mean that I believe we are as bad as we could be. There is no doubt that without God's common grace mankind would be immeasurably more wicked than he is currently. But rather, I am saying that outside of Christ, everything that mankind does is sin. (Psalm 51:1-5; Ephesians 2:1-4; Romans 1:18-32; Romans 3:9-18; Romans 14:23)

Unconditional Election: This is the belief that we cannot do anything to deserve the love and mercy and grace of God. The Bible very clearly teaches that we are chosen in Christ before the foundations of the world. It is not based on God's prior knowledge of our choosing him. Election is based on the character and desire of God. He is the basis and the source of our election! This election is irrevocable, and Jesus Christ will not lose any of the Bride that his Father has given to him. I am not saying that final salvation has no condition. This would be untrue. Salvation only comes to those who have faith in Christ alone, but the only people who have faith alone in Christ alone are those that God has elected by his sovereign goodness. (Ephesians 1:3-6; John 10:22-30; John 6:35-40; Acts 13:48; Romans 9:15-18; Romans 8:28-30)

Limited Atonement: Everyone believes that the atonement was limited. Either you must profess a belief in the limit of the power of the atonement or you must profess a limit in the extent of the atonement. I believe that the atonement was limited in its extent not its power. Christ's death on the cross secured both the forgiveness of sin and the position in the family for all God's elect. It was not applied in the same way to those who are not God's elect. The cross was not a hopeful attempt to save someone that might believe. The cross was God's active love being poured out on all mankind. The cross secured salvation for those who would believe in Christ, and the cross extended God's common grace to those who would never believe. The cross is the source of every good gift from God. We might say, "The cross was sufficient for all, but it was effectual for those who believe." (Romans 3:25-26; 1 Timothy 4:10; John 10:15; John 17:6, 9, 19; Revelation 5:9; Mark 10:45; Matthew 26:28; Hebrews 9:28; Ephesians 5:25-27; Titus 2:14; Romans 8:32)

Irresistible Grace: It is a common mistake to think that this teaching means a man can never resist any influence from the Spirit. That is not what is being stated here. Irresistible Grace simply put is the teaching that God can by his sovereign goodness overcome all resistance to his will. When God undertakes to fulfill his sovereign purpose, no one can stop him. This includes his work of inwardly calling a man to salvation by the work of the Holy Spirit. (Ps. 115:1-3; Romans 9:14-20; John 6:44, 64-65; 1 Corinthians 1:23-24; 2 Corinthians 4:4-6; Acts 16:14)

Perseverance of the Saints: I actually prefer to call this point "preservation of the saints." God will not lose any of his children who have placed faith in the Son Jesus Christ. This is not the dreaded "Once Saved Always Saved" teaching of some theologians. This is the teaching that says once a person has been drawn to Christ, placed full faith in him for salvation, that person will then be brought to full glory! A person in the state of salvation will also be in the state of sanctification because no true believer can continue in life style sin. (Romans 8:28-30; John 10:26-30; 1 Peter 1:5; Jude 24-25)

I know that this is a long post, but I do feel it will help clear up the confusion of what it means to be Calvinist. There are many wrong teachings presented by opponents of Calvinism which lead to confusion. When someone asks if I am a Calvinist, my answer is Yes! But I also would like the time to give the above explanation so that there is no confusion. I hope this helps. Next time I will try to be more brief with my answer. Talk to you soon...CW

6 comments:

  1. Great post!! I linked you in my post today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link! I am glad you enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post Carlton! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! I look forward to the next one, and the next.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks so much for this. i love reading your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clearly spoken, my dear brother

    ReplyDelete