"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

Monday, May 24, 2010

Expository Faithfulness

The last post in this series on T4G is a wrap of C.J. Mahaney's sermon on 2 Timothy 4:1-5. Mahaney is different from the other men who spoke at the conference. He is an unashamed Reformed-Charismatic. He is the leader of Sovereign Grace Ministries which has nurtured the growth of hundreds if not thousands of churches across the United States. He is simple in his presentation, passionate beyond comparison, and obviously Spirit-filled. This sermon was the best I have ever heard from him.

By the way, I am also probably best labeled Reformed-Charismatic. I would like to be able to explain the biblical meaning to both words, but I find it to be best if the label stands on its on so that conversation is sparked!

I also freely admit and gladly labor as nothing but an ordinary pastor. There is nothing extraordinary about me as either an intellect or orator or shepherd. I am serving the King with all I have that he might have all the glory, now and forevermore!

Expository Faithfulness
2 Timothy 4:1-5

Faithful to the Message (1-2).
  • Paul is telling Timothy that all the Word should be preached under the rubric of the gospel. The Old and the New Testaments hold the treasure of the account of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
  • We as pastors need to make the commitment to be unoriginal. It is not our calling to be unique and creative. It is our calling to deliver the gospel that was once for all delivered to the saints! Preach the Word without addition or subtraction, and God will work to do all thing according to his good pleasure.
  • In order to be faithful to the message, we must know our people (2). We cannot get the sermon from the people but we have to get the sermon with the people!
  • Godly character (2). Paul charges us to work with the people in complete patience. I must think of God's patience toward me. "How long has it taken me to appropriate the truth I am teaching in my own life?" If I lack patience, then I am self-righteous. Remember that sanctification is a process.
Faithful to your ministry (5)
  • As a pastor I must learn to be relentlessly faithful to the ministry God has entrusted to me. Every day, day after day, I must serve the Lord with gladness in the place he has planted me.
Faithful to the Savior (1)

C.J. concluded by encouraging us with the words of Paul in verses 6-8. "Ordinary, faithful pastors will receive the commendation of Christ at the judgment"

*
I was also challenged to pick up a copy of D.A. Carson's biography of his father Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor:The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson.

2 comments:

  1. You might find the following blogs of interest about C.J. Mahaney and the group he leads, Sovereign Grace Ministries:

    www.sgmsurvivors.com
    www.sgmrefuge.com

    They tell another side. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve:

    I do not know you or your experience but thanks for the comment. C.J. is a Calvinist. He does not hide from that nor the label Reformed. I am also Reformed or Calvinist in doctrine because I believe it is by far the most Biblical doctrinal camp. That said, I know that people often are mistreated by individuals and individual churches. This is unfortunate and should be addressed in a biblical way. If I can encourage you in any way, let me know. God bless and please continue to read the blog.

    CW

    ReplyDelete